Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28, 2010

Greetings from Dry Ridge, Kentucky!

After a very long, tiring trip from Nogales, Arizona to Dry Ridge, we got some sleep, were able to do laundry and a little housekeeping! Nothing changes on the road except the location!

Yesterday, as we drove through Oklahoma and Missouri I ran into a truck driver named Dave from Noble, Oklahoma who is a Marine Corps Combat Veteran who served during the first Gulf War from 1983-1992. He has been a truck driver since his discharge from the Corps.

A lot of veterans are now driving trucks cross country and I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to each and every person who has served their country in the military, and to the families who have supported them and continue to support our military today.

As most of you who know me know, my youngest son, Cody, is a combat vet in the Marine Corps as well. He served as a sniper in Afghanistan, where he was shot in the back by an enemy sniper. Thank God for SAPPY plates! He then served in Iraq where he and his First Lt. were blown up by an IED. This time the SAPPY plates saved both of their lives, but not their exposed skin on face, neck, arms, and hands. Both suffered second and third degree burns, but recovered and continued to serve. Unfortunately for my son, the flash burn to his eyes kept him from returning to duty as a sniper, and the blast also permanently damaged his hearing. (Like the heavy metal music he listens to wasn't bad enough!) Cody was discharged the end of October 2009 and is now home where he belongs.

So many others are still in harms way and for them I ask for your prayers and support for all the branches of the United States military.

United States Marine Combat Veteran, Dave from Nobel, Oklahoma Semper Fi, Dave & Thank you
                                                
                                      

         Dave's Truck-A little blurry but we were rollin' by!

       Back of Dave's truck, has USMC plate, but hard to see.



The back of the cab of Dave's truck. He is a proud Marine!

7 comments:

  1. What are you doing in Dry Ridge? That's less than an hour from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delivering a load and picking up, then we're on our way to some undisclosed location! :) Check out all my posts at http://myroadtrip2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the 2nd WW song said, "Bless 'em all, bless 'em all, the long and the short and the tall." We just lost a Canadian friend in Afghanistan. We always know it's possible, but *know* it's not going to happen to someone we know.

    Glad my dh is out of the Candian Forces and too old to get back in--or he'd be there in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment Judy. I am so sorry to hear about your friend. You know, we rarely think of the Canadian military being part of this war too, and we should remember all the military, not just those from our own country. Bless the Canadian forces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter and her husband and my neice's husband are in Iraq. Yes, bless them all. We pray for their safe return every day, and for all our other boys and girls overseas.

    I've been around for a lot of wars, (Not the civil war as my daughter likes to say,) and if not for our wonderful soldiers, sailors, fly boys and marines where ever would we be and what language would be have needed to learn?
    Thanks to everyone of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following your blogs with interest... First because, as an olde trucker (yes, I'm olde enough I have to spell it with an e at the end) I've been to all of those places you've mentioned and secondly, because I was in the Canuckian Army for a lot of years and was witness (and participant) to some horror in various parts of the world.

    My much younger cousin, who thought I was a God and he wanted to emulate me constantly, joined the military and served in Afghanistan where he became Canada's 44th casualty.

    Your blog just gives me yet another opportunity to remember Cpl Albert Storm (Stormy) -- as if I'd ever forget him.

    Today is Friday, I'm wearing my red shirt and sweater not just to remember Stormy but to show my support for all the troops serving trying to encourage and preserve world peace.

    Lest We Forget....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comment Allison, and I will keep your granddaughter, her husband and your nephew in my prayers. Tell them I, and my family truly appreciate their sacrifice.

    Yondar-
    God bless you and thank you for your service. I wish I could meet you and give you a hug! I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. You are both heroes and have my heartfelt appreciation.

    ReplyDelete