Friday, February 12, 2010

Special Post February 12, 2010

Today I have a special post because we kind of got stuck in Nogales, AZ while on our way to pick up a load of corn going to Florida. Our anniversary is on the 17th and this trip to Florida was supposed to be a little honeymoon trip for us. We were going to be able to take some time off, park the truck, rent a car and drive down to Key West to play in the ocean and take a little break. We haven't had a honeymoon vacation since we got married 10 years ago. Because of what happened the load was cancelled, we spent the night in a WalMart parking lot and the load we are picking up today is going to the Syracuse, NY area--so much for a honeymoon!

Now, I am not placing fault here, it's just one of those things that happens sometimes and you deal with and move on. It was really just our turn I suppose you could say. While on I-19 headed from Eloy to Nogales we were pulled over by a State Trooper because he noticed a mud flap on the outside of the DOT bumper. This is called a "courtesy check" but when it happens all paper work is scrutinized, including log books, fuel receipts, registration of the tractor and trailer, plus insurance, bills of lading, etc.

For the first time in eight years, Nathan received a ticket for a log book violation because while we were in Eloy, we stopped at the Pilot Truck Stop and I did laundry while he took the truck for a PM (Preventative Maintenance), which occurs about every 25,000 miles because this truck is equipped with a Tri-Pak, and then he took the truck through the truck wash to get some of the salt removed since we'd been on the east coast. While doing his log book, he didn't mark the PM or wash as "on duty, not driving", and then, stupidly, he inadvertently marked the day as the 10th, which was actually the previous day, so he had two days dated as 2/10. That's considered falsification of a log book and got him a ticket, along with a fix it ticket for the DOT bumper being bent, AND he got a warning about an Arizona requirement that trailers have a reflective "L" in the upper corners of the trailer doors that isn't required anywhere else. And we were put out of service for ten hours!

The trooper was very nice, and very cute. I could be a cougar for this cutie-pie!

Cost of a PM $236.00
Cost of a truck wash $77.00
Seeing the look on my husbands face when he got ticketed: PRICELESS

Officer Azbill writing the ticket!
Signing the ticket!
"Look, you stupid truck driver, just sign the damn thing!"
"Hey, I have a gun, you know!"
This is my view of them at the trooper's truck.
I kept waiting for the handcuffs to come out, but again, I was disappointed!

9 comments:

  1. Very funny. My oldest daughter lives in AZ...Phoenix. I know they have different rules, but this is strange, an L. Sorry you are not splashing in our warm, Key West waters. It's supposed to snow in Ocala, about 50 miles from us. Big sunny race tomorrow.

    Julie E. P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh have I got a log book story for you..... tell you later... with 4.5 million miles, I've got lots of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad for your husband. Tickets 'ain't' fun. I've managed to get a couple in my driving experience and it wasn't even behind the wheel of a truck.

    I sure hope you sold him (the police officer) some books..... At least it would have made the experience less painful.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to be very good-natured about the whole thing. Honeymoon in Syracuse. In February. Hmmm.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, LOL my hubby drives truck too although he mainly does east coast.. Some day i think I am going to write a book.. My biggest pet peeve is the bathrooms ! ugh sometimes no matter where you are restaurant, truck stops, or rest areas some are just... well no words can describe except hand sanitizer for your whole body ..lol good luck with the rest of your trip..
    christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why in the world did the universe think you needed to go to Syracuse...in February? Maybe the Arizona truck laws belong in a book;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ria,
    Too funny that you could both keep your humor in the whole thing. I don't remember my husband smiling like that when we were in the semi and got pulled over at the weigh station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I most be a hard guy, but to me a warning should entail no fine. Makes it hard on people already "workin for a livin".

    BTW - I don't see you in the picture girl (g).

    Michael Davis (Davisstories.com)
    Author of the year, 4/09

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for dropping by everyone. My husband only smiled because he was thinking of ways to kill me when I asked the cop to draw his weapon and make Nathan assume the position for a pic--he laughed and declined! And no, Mike, I'm rarely in the pics because I take em all!

    ReplyDelete